- To be as pleased as Punch = to be really pleased.
- To be in seventh heaven = to be extremely happy.
- To be on top of the world = to be really happy.
- To be thrilled to bits = to be very happy and excited.
FEELING SAD / FED UP
- To be as miserable as sin = to be extremely sad.
- To be browned off = to be bored.
- To be downhearted = to feel sad.
- To have a long face = to look unhappy.
FEELING FRIGHTENED / SHOCKED
- To be in a cold sweat = to be in a state of shock or fear.
- To be rooted to the spot = to be unable to move through fear.
- To be scared to death = to be extremely frightened.
- To go white as a sheet = to go pale through fear or shock.
FEELING WORRIED / ANXIOUS / NERVOUS
- To be keyed up = to be excited, tense.
- To be like a cat on hot bricks = to feel nervous and unable to stand still.
- To be on tenterhooks = to be uncertain and anxious about what is going to happen.
- To have something on one's mind = to have a problem that is worrying you.
FEELING CONFUSED / UNCERTAIN
- To be all at sea = to be puzzled and bewildered.
- To be at sixes and sevens = to be uncertain and confused.
- To be out of one's depth = to be in a situation which is difficult for you to cope with.
- To be hopping mad = to be really angry.
- To be hot under the collar = to be annoyed or embarrassed.
- To go off at the deep end = to lose your temper, to become very angry.
- To go spare = to lose your temper.
- To be gobsmacked = to be very surprised.
- That's a turn up for the books! = you say it when something surprising happens.
- You could have knocked me down with a feather! = you say it to emphasize how surprised you were when you heard something.
FEELING QUARRELSOME / UNFRIENDLY
- To have a go at somebody = to criticize somebody angrily.
- To tear somebody off a strip = to speak angrily to somebody because they have done something wrong.
- To avoid somebody like the plague = to avoid somebody completely.
- To cut somebody down to size = to reduce somebody's sense of their own importance.
We thank Teresa Ruiperez (from Albacete, Spain) for her contribution.
¿Conoces más? Envía tu colaboración
junto con tu nombre, ciudad y país, y será agregada! Share your knowledge!
Otras páginas que pueden interesarte: