Vocabulary - Vocabulario de inglés
PHRASAL VERBS WITH "AWAY"
¿Qué es un phrasal verb?
Un "phrasal verb" es un verbo seguido de una preposición o un adverbio. Su significado es diferente al significado normal de dicho verbo. Por ejemplo, "to give up" significa "abandonar, rendirse". El verbo "to give" usado solo significa "dar".
Si el "phrasal verb" va seguido de un objeto, es transitivo, como "to give up something" (dejar de hacer algo). Si no va seguido de un objeto, es intransitivo, como "to break down" (dejar de funcionar).
La dificultad para los estudiantes de inglés radica en que no pueden traducirse literalmente y deben aprenderse de memoria.
Lee las explicaciones y luego realiza el ejercicio.
- break away from somebody = leave somebody who is holding you.
She broke away from her father and now lives by herself.
- come away = become separated from the main part.
I turned some of the pages and they came away in my hand.
- get away = leave a place.
The meeting continued up to 8 o'clock but I was able to get away at 7.30.
- get away with something = leave a place with something.
The thieves got away with all the money.
- get away with something = not be caught or punished for something
The boy never does his homework but he always gets away with it.
- give something away = give away something = give something because
you do not want or need it.
She gave her old clothes away when she moved.
- give something away = give away something = tell something secret.
He doesn't want to give away how the system works.
- give somebody away = show where somebody is or what they are doing,
when they are trying to keep this a secret.
Peter looked down, but his voice gave him away.
- pass away = die.
She's very sad because her grandfather has passed away.
- run away = leave a place secretly, escape.
The thief closed the door and ran away.
- take somebody/something away = take away somebody/something = remove
The waiter took away the plates before we had finished.
- walk away = leave a bad situation instead of trying to make it better.
We've been married for ten years, you can't just walk away!
- walk away with something = win something easily.
The lucky winner will walk away with $10,000.
Choose the right answer.
¿Conoces más? Envía tu colaboración
junto con tu nombre, ciudad y país, y será agregada! Share your knowledge!
Otras páginas que pueden interesarte