Vocabulary - Vocabulario de inglés
PHRASAL VERBS WITH "OFF"
¿Qué es un phrasal verb?
Un "phrasal verb" es un verbo seguido de una preposición o un adverbio. Su significado es diferente al significado normal de dicho verbo. Por ejemplo, "to give up" significa "abandonar, rendirse". El verbo "to give" usado solo significa "dar".
Si el "phrasal verb" va seguido de un objeto, es transitivo, como "to give up something" (dejar de hacer algo). Si no va seguido de un objeto, es intransitivo, como "to break down" (dejar de funcionar).
La dificultad para los estudiantes de inglés radica en que no pueden traducirse literalmente y deben aprenderse de memoria.
Lee las explicaciones y luego realiza el ejercicio.
- break off = suddenly stop talking.
He started to speak but then broke off to answer the phone.
- break something off = break off something = end a relationship.
They broke off their engagement after four years.
- get off = leave a place.
I will try to get off after lunch.
- get off = not be punished for something.
In the end she got off because there wasn't enough evidence against her.
- give off something = produce a smell, heat, sound, etc.
The walls gave off a smell of paint for a week.
- make off = leave quickly, escape.
The thief made off as the police arrived.
- make off with something = steal something.
The thief made off with her bag.
- run something off = run off something = quickly print some
copies of something.
Please run off a few more copies before the meeting.
- run something off = run off something = write a poem, speech, etc.
quickly and easily.
She could run off an essay in less than an hour.
- run somebody off something = force somebody to leave a place.
She ran the dog off her house with a stick.
- run off with somebody = secretly go away with somebody to marry
him/her or live with him/her.
She decided to run off with a married man.
- take off = (aircrafts) rise into the air.
The plane took off on time.
- take off = start being successful.
Helen's career took off when she began working in tourism.
- take something off = take off something = remove a piece of clothing.
He took off his shoes before entering the house.
- take somebody off = take off somebody = imitate somebody.
She took off the teacher and everyone laughed.
Choose the right answer.
¿Conoces más? Envía tu colaboración
junto con tu nombre, ciudad y país, y será agregada! Share your knowledge!
Otras páginas que pueden interesarte