- to eat like a horse = to eat a lot
- to be flogging a dead horse = to be wasting time or effort on something impossible
- to be/get on one's high horse = to act proudly, be arrogant
- to be healthy as a horse = to be very healthy
- to get on one's hobby-horse = to start talking about something that one likes to discuss
- to hold your horses = to do something more slowly
- to change horses in midstream = to transfer one's preference for somebody to another in the middle of an undertaking
- to close the stable door after the horse has bolted = try to prevent something when it is too late
- to put the cart before the horse = to reverse the logical order
- a Trojan horse = something that looks normal but hides somebody's real intentions
- never look a gift horse in the mouth = a caballo regalado no se le miran los dientes
- a nod is as good as a wink (to a blind horse) = a hint or suggestion can be understood without being explicitly stated
- straight from the horse's mouth = from a reliable source = de buena fuente
- you can take a horse to water, but you can't make him drink = you can give a person the chance to do something, but he may still refuse to do it
- a dark horse = someone mysterious, who doesn't tell others about himself, but has surprising abilites or qualities
- a horse of a different color (US) = something that is completely
different = harina de otro costal
- wild horses couldn't drag somebody away (from something) = somebody is determined to do something. He had already decided to go fishing. Wild horses couldn't drag him away from it.
We thank Marcela Bitetto (from Buenos Aires, Argentina), Lily (from Tucson, USA) and Aitor Natividad (from Bilbao, Spain) for their suggestions.
Choose the right answer.
¿Conoces más? Envía tu colaboración
junto con tu nombre, ciudad y país, y será agregada! Share your knowledge!